Sunday, April 22, 2007

Customer Service














Amy's recent comment on her blog re the deteriorating level of customer service in Singapore had me thinking whether she has been too hard on Singaporeans. This, especially since she has been in Tokyo for a good one year, does not seem to make meaningful comparison as the Japanese are known for their impeccable customer service quality. Well, after giving it some serious thought and gaining insights from personal experience, I guess it is not that harsh after all.

I made a purchase last Friday for a window wiper from Robert Dyas. I got home only to realise that the landlord has provided me with two. Gosh a waste of £6 or so I thought. I went back to the store today and proposed an exchange. To my amazement, the counter staff said: "if you don't need anything, I can give you a full refund instead. You don't have to exchange for anything else." Amazed? Maybe I shouldn't. This is not the first time I had an exchange/refund from Robert Dyas. The last was only 2 months back when I found out that I bought the wrong light bulbs.

They are no exception. I bought a DVD player and a universal remote, on two separate occasions from Dixons and got a refund for both purchases even though they were working fine (but not with my gadgets). No questions asked. Compare this with a DVD player bought from Akira Singapore. I had this purchased and shipped over to London, only to get a lemon. I emailed the company and asked for a replacement (it comes with a warranty). I even mentioned that I will get a friend to pick up a replacement. Guess what? Not even a reply (if you get peanuts, you get monkeys.

Maybe Singaporeans are used to the treatment accorded by the businesses back home, especially the 10% service charge on the bill since they can't argue much about it. Over here, service is not normally included in the bill and it's up to the diners' discretion to pay. And we do pay for good service provided and it will usually be met with a smile.

I believe we are still some way from the Japanese's level of service and we might not need to get to that level (that could be their strategic advantage plus the high cost of living is not something worth importing!).

Perhaps the next time you receive the bill with the 10% service charge, ask yourself if it's ever worth that much.

3 comments:

Mum of 2 said...

Ee Poh, I totally agree with what Amy says. Often, I find some frustrations with the customer service in Sg. Well, even if we don't compare with Japan or London...We know it!

eimi said...

Hi there,

Interesting thoughts on the 10% service charge!

Actually I dont think I was even asking for Customer Service. I was asking for Service that at least made sense:

Here's why very briefly.

1) Kate Spade - One of the screws from my wallet dropped out. I brought it to the shop @ Takashimaya and they said they would email Hong Kong office. Hong Kong office would reply the email in a month's time (hello stone age?!), and the reply would not be guaranteed. I asked if they could call Hong Kong immediately instead. Sg said thats their correspondence policy.
I then asked them to contact New York the Head Office, and I will try to get my friend to send to me. They said they can't because Hong Kong is the Asia Regional Head Office.
We are not doing Consol. here ya, do customers need to understand their reporting line?

2) Nine West - Was about to pay for a pair of Enzo Angiolini, and asked if they could clean the leather a little. The shoes came back with tissue bits stuck underneath the clip - thats all right, I removed it myself (but tissue on leather?). Soon, I noticed that the leather lost its shine, and instead of reflective black, it became dull black with white specks. It couldnt be removed after that.

This is hardly about comparison between Sg and TK. It didnt even make sense to me.

Mum of 2 said...

Yeah. I miss the great service I had in Tokyo shopping retreat. I was the last in the Burberry Boutique and the sales associates were still patiently serving my needs. Not only in big brands like Burberry, small shops along shibuya and harajuku provide great service as well!